Skip to main content

Christmas Blessings and Simple Ideas

HoLiDaY GrEeTiNgS to one and all and a special WELCOME to all the SITSahood!!! I'm linking up to "The Secret's In The Sauce" over at http://www.thesitsgirls.com/ for Merry SITSmas 2009.

We are under three weeks on the CoUnTdOwN to ChRiStMaS...can you BeLiEvE that?!?!? I've been out there in BlogWorld, busily perusing all the fabulous ideas for crafting and decorating. So many Fabulous and Fantastic Ideas...I'm going into "sponge-mode-overload" trying to soak them all up!

I really haven't had just a whole lot of time to craft in recent years, but I wanted to show you a few of my FaVoRiTeS for this year. They're not all homemade...they're not all terribly crafty...but they all WoRk for Me!!!

My "Best Find" for this year is this beautiful red vase, which I picked up for $7.99 (nope, that's not a typo!) at Ross. I couldn't believe my luck when I spotted it AND got my hands on it before my Mother did!!! I simply filled it with a couple dozen old silver glass balls (already had these, don't we all?) and - voila - a beautiful piece that really makes a statement!





Next project: We had a need for a large centerpiece for the dining table that can be easily picked up and moved. I recently purchased a simple brown wooden serving tray at WalMart that I knew I wanted to use a the base. I took a cheap 9-foot artificial garland and wrapped it around a couple of times and shaped it to fit snugly down in the tray. Left-over silver beads and ornaments were just draped and snuggled into the greenery and a trio of silver candlesticks nestled in the center completed the arrangement. I just love the way this turned out and it's soooo easy to just grab it and move it when we need the table space!


Finally, I unwrapped these little pinecone trees I crafted a couple of years ago. I had the tiny clay pots, leftover from a project years ago, and transformed them with silver spray paint. Pinecones, gathered from our property, were simply tipped with glue, using a spongebrush, and dusted with silver glitter. A little dried spanish moss was tucked in the base and a pinecone hot-glued on top of that. How simple!


I made about a dozen of these one evening and have tucked them here and there as accent pieces to finish out little vignettes. Great fillers!


So, there you have it! These fun and simple decorations - some made and some bought -help brighten our country home for the Holiday Season.

You know, at this Special Time of the Year, Eddie Dale and I are feeling truly BLESSED. We have a wonderful home, our health, our awesome Family and Friends...too many BLESSINGS to list.


I wish for each and every one of you Abundant Blessings during this Season of JOY!!!

Jane

Check out other great DIY projects from BlogLand over at: http://asoftplace.net/

(Sorry, Kimba, can't get your button to load up over here!)

Comments

  1. Those are some really fun projects. I've actually been looking around for something cute I could make to give away to a few friends from church. You've given me a couple of good ideas...

    Hello from SITS, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, stopping by from SITS. What great projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from SITS! Happy early SITSmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jane, thanks for stopping by & leaving a note! Nice to meet you & I hope you'll come back often. I love your little pinecones in those clay pots. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

THANK YOU for stopping by for a little visit on the Porch! I absolutely LOVE comments, so please leave a note and let me know what you're thinking.

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Our New Woven Blinds......

Hey, ya'll!  Labor Day weekend is winding down.....hope yours has been great!!!
Mine was actually pretty busy.  Since Eddie Dale had to work all three days, I decided I would work, too - only I stuck around the house to do my work! 
I decided to go ahead and give the woven bamboo blinds I found at Home Depot a shot.  I've been eyeballing them online for weeks because the cost was only $16.97 each.  I simply hate the plastic 1-inch mini-blinds throughout our house - they are not cottage-y - at all! 
So, I ran out to the local store (their handy dandy website indicated they had thirteen 27"x72" shades in stock) and picked up enough to do the living room.  I really like the roman shade style and the way these filter the light, creating a nice soft ambiance in the room.  Although they are not completely private, they are fine in the living area.  Oh, and did I mention they are only $16.97 a window?!?!?  So reasonable, yet they give me the "look" I've been…

Super Bowl Sunday - What's for Supper!?!?!?

One of our favorite things to do when there's a big game on TV is make up a variety of "finger foods" to snack on during the evening.  Tonight's Super Bowl was no different and we went for some of our favorites - buffalo wings, sausage balls, pigs-in-a-blanket, and, of course, one of our old standbys,  this yummy spinach dip.

It's a tradition to have this creamy dip at least once during the holidays, but we rarely have it during the year.  So, it's a real treat!  It's delicious and rich; and the basic recipe makes a ton - we snack on it for days!  My favorite way to enjoy it - scoop it up with "hint of salt" wheat thins crackers.  Yum yum!!!
Most of you probably have this recipe down by memory.  But, in case you haven't tried it, I'm sharing it below.

Spinach Dip
16 ounce container of sour cream 1 cup mayo 3-4 finely diced green onions 1 small can water chestnuts, diced 1 small package frozen chopped spinach 1 package Knorr vegetable so…

Procrastinating on a Project

Sitting here, listening to the thunder and the pounding rain against the windows and wishing I had made good on my plans to clean out my closet today.

You see, I've been contemplating emptying my closet for months.  And I mean empty it completely!  Then reload with way fewer items.  Some call it a capsule wardrobe - that is a pretty popular term these days.  Others might say it a 'minimalist approach' to dressing.  Either way, it is something that has been wiggling around in my mind for some time. 

And yet, I continue to put the project off.  Why the blazes is that?  It's definitely something I want to do - downsize and simplify my wardrobe! 

The main reason is the sheer size of the project.  It is daunting, to say the least.  Perhaps even overwhelming.  I know it is probably going to take several hours and create a huge mess if I do it properly.  So, I start thinking about the process and begin to lose sight of the end result - which is a simpler wardrobe and less …