Skip to main content

A New Year...A New Adventure

Hard to believe that it is already 2010, isn't it? Seems like only yesterday we were all sweating over "Y2K" and what would happen with all the computers...and here we are a decade later.

2009 will be a year to remember for Eddie and me. More particularly, December, 2009 will stand out in our minds as the month when our lives took a giant shift in direction. On the Friday before Christmas, Eddie lost his job. We officially joined the ranks of those struggling with unemployment, trying to figure out how we could make things work from this point forward.

We are fortunate in that we have some savings, but we live in a small town in the Panhandle of Texas and jobs like the one my husband had are few and far between. I am blessed with a wonderful job as a legal assistant. My hours are flexible and the pay is good for a town of this size. But, Eddie was the big breadwinner, allowing my earnings to be used for fun, discretionary spending.

For the last two weeks, we have just been adjusting to the situation in which we find ourselves. We have done a lot of soul-searching and crunching of numbers and come to the conclusion that we need to make some major changes. We will have to radically change the "Plan" on which we had based our goals.

First off, we found ourselves questioning whether or not we should stay in Pampa. We have no more family living here since Eddie's youngest daughter went off to college in Oklahoma. The job situation is bad here, as is the economic situation overall. So, in the last few days, we have reached the first major decision in this new journey: we are going to relocate to Abilene. That's right, we will be moving back to my hometown. This is actually a silver lining to the storm surrounding us...we will be close to both of my parents, my daughter and her children, and one of my sons. Eddie has a sister living in Abilene, too. So, we will be close to family and in an area that is not as economically depressed as Pampa.

Of course, there are many, many steps to relocating. We have to sell this house we have grown to love. We will have to find new jobs. We will have to adjust our lifestyle greatly in the process. There is so much work to be done that it borders on being overwhelming. Yet, my heart beats with hope and optimism, eagerness to step out on this journey.

I will be chronicling this adventure here at Janie's Porch. The up's, the down's, the high's and the low's...you will be privy to all of it. Eddie and I have discussed it and agree that this is a great way to keep everyone informed and journal our lives during an exciting, yet tumultuous, time.

The fact that we step out in faith right here at the beginning of a new year, 2010, almost transcends belief. Isn't it wonderful that we have the opportunity to begin a chapter in our lives at the beginning of a new year? As we ring out the old and ring in the new this year, we are truly embarking on an epic adventure!

My prayer for you this year is that you will know God's peace and strength in your life when you face challenges.

With great hope...

Jane

Comments

  1. I love your heart Jane. Keep the faith, I will be praying for clear leading in the weeks and months ahead. And the God would open doors that no man can close.
    Hugs~
    Robin
    All Things Heart and Home

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

THANK YOU for stopping by for a little visit on the Porch! I absolutely LOVE comments, so please leave a note and let me know what you're thinking.

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Our New Woven Blinds......

Hey, ya'll!  Labor Day weekend is winding down.....hope yours has been great!!!
Mine was actually pretty busy.  Since Eddie Dale had to work all three days, I decided I would work, too - only I stuck around the house to do my work! 
I decided to go ahead and give the woven bamboo blinds I found at Home Depot a shot.  I've been eyeballing them online for weeks because the cost was only $16.97 each.  I simply hate the plastic 1-inch mini-blinds throughout our house - they are not cottage-y - at all! 
So, I ran out to the local store (their handy dandy website indicated they had thirteen 27"x72" shades in stock) and picked up enough to do the living room.  I really like the roman shade style and the way these filter the light, creating a nice soft ambiance in the room.  Although they are not completely private, they are fine in the living area.  Oh, and did I mention they are only $16.97 a window?!?!?  So reasonable, yet they give me the "look" I've been…

Super Bowl Sunday - What's for Supper!?!?!?

One of our favorite things to do when there's a big game on TV is make up a variety of "finger foods" to snack on during the evening.  Tonight's Super Bowl was no different and we went for some of our favorites - buffalo wings, sausage balls, pigs-in-a-blanket, and, of course, one of our old standbys,  this yummy spinach dip.

It's a tradition to have this creamy dip at least once during the holidays, but we rarely have it during the year.  So, it's a real treat!  It's delicious and rich; and the basic recipe makes a ton - we snack on it for days!  My favorite way to enjoy it - scoop it up with "hint of salt" wheat thins crackers.  Yum yum!!!
Most of you probably have this recipe down by memory.  But, in case you haven't tried it, I'm sharing it below.

Spinach Dip
16 ounce container of sour cream 1 cup mayo 3-4 finely diced green onions 1 small can water chestnuts, diced 1 small package frozen chopped spinach 1 package Knorr vegetable so…

Procrastinating on a Project

Sitting here, listening to the thunder and the pounding rain against the windows and wishing I had made good on my plans to clean out my closet today.

You see, I've been contemplating emptying my closet for months.  And I mean empty it completely!  Then reload with way fewer items.  Some call it a capsule wardrobe - that is a pretty popular term these days.  Others might say it a 'minimalist approach' to dressing.  Either way, it is something that has been wiggling around in my mind for some time. 

And yet, I continue to put the project off.  Why the blazes is that?  It's definitely something I want to do - downsize and simplify my wardrobe! 

The main reason is the sheer size of the project.  It is daunting, to say the least.  Perhaps even overwhelming.  I know it is probably going to take several hours and create a huge mess if I do it properly.  So, I start thinking about the process and begin to lose sight of the end result - which is a simpler wardrobe and less …