Skip to main content

A Little R&R Never Hurt Anyone......

A week of vacation was exactly what I needed.....

With the hectic Summer pace of the real estate market, the days were getting way too long and time way too short.  A week in a 24-foot fifth wheel on the banks of the Guadalupe River, enjoying a fun time with family and friends, was just what the doctor ordered! 

The trip down was uneventful - we have this hooking up and hauling out down pretty good now!  We were all set up in "gypsy camp" at the family's place by mid-afternoon.  Of course, I burned up the phone all the way down, working.  But, that wound down pretty quickly once we arrived.  After all, I did record a message on my voicemail that I would be "out of the office" until June 17th.  I figure the world won't come to an end if I miss a few calls or someone has to wait a few days.....

The days were filled with breakfasts on the deck, dinners on the deck, activities scattered here and there.  But, there was some free time for us and we used it well.  When Eddie was off for this or that, I would crawl up on the bed and read and doze - in the middle of the day.  How decadent and delightful was that?!?!?

But, here are some of the highlights of the trip for me.......

We made the short drive over to Gruene on Sunday afternoon and enjoyed listening to live music for a while.

If you've never been to Gruene Hall, it's hard to explain what you're missing out on.  But, it is a large, old structure - no A/C - long rows of wooden tables and benches that have been carved and worn over the years.  You'll nearly pass out from the heat when you enter the ladies' room and everyone wears a glowing sheen of sweat in that place.  But, the music is fine and it's even more fun to watch people having a good time and circling the rough wooden dance floor!  It's an experience, to say the least....and one we eagerly anticipate every year!



On Monday evening, after the golf tournament, a large group of us enjoyed pizza on the deck and a movie al fresco.  Eddie had the brilliant idea of setting up our flat screen and dvd player under the awning on the trailer.  We gathered around in our chairs, enjoyed microwave popcorn straight from the bag and watched John Wayne's "The Alamo" on the small screen.  I think we might have just found ourselves a new tradition!

We ventured back over to Gruene on our last afternoon.  It wasn't quite as crowded as it was over the weekend and I was able to really admire some of the beautiful flowers and quaint cottages and shops as we strolled.   Everything seemed so lush and green in the humid heat.....

 

How about this creative use of an old bathtub?  I'm lovin' it!!!


Eddie did some fine posing for the camera......


We got someone to take a picture of us together......


 And we finally made it over to the best little cupcake shop in Texas - Gruene Flour Cupcakery!


By mid-afternoon, the innocent looking clouds overhead started churning and this storm chased us all the way back to the campsite!  


Oh, boy, did we get the rain!  I know they need it down there, but if you've never experienced wet, damp weather in an RV, then you don't understand how clammy everything starts to feel.  When Friday morning rolled around, still drizzly, we were ready to pack it up and head home right on schedule.  But, look at the awesome mist rising off the river that morning - just a beautiful, peaceful sight!


I am glad that we are home now.  A week in the trailer is about my limit.  It is comfortable and we are completely self-contained - bathroom, shower, kitchen, television.  But, there's nothing like coming home and sleeping in our own bed, with the pups snuggled in and snoring in their beds beside ours. 

We're spending the weekend recovering from the trip and catching up on laundry.  Monday will be a return to reality and there will be plenty of catching up to do with work.  But, I have to tell ya - that time off was definitely worth it! 

Do you plan a vacation in the Summer months?  What is your idea of the "perfect get-away"????


Comments

  1. Looks like yall had a great time! Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A change is as good as a rest as they say. What a nice little getaway. You look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

THANK YOU for stopping by for a little visit on the Porch! I absolutely LOVE comments, so please leave a note and let me know what you're thinking.

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Our New Woven Blinds......

Hey, ya'll!  Labor Day weekend is winding down.....hope yours has been great!!!
Mine was actually pretty busy.  Since Eddie Dale had to work all three days, I decided I would work, too - only I stuck around the house to do my work! 
I decided to go ahead and give the woven bamboo blinds I found at Home Depot a shot.  I've been eyeballing them online for weeks because the cost was only $16.97 each.  I simply hate the plastic 1-inch mini-blinds throughout our house - they are not cottage-y - at all! 
So, I ran out to the local store (their handy dandy website indicated they had thirteen 27"x72" shades in stock) and picked up enough to do the living room.  I really like the roman shade style and the way these filter the light, creating a nice soft ambiance in the room.  Although they are not completely private, they are fine in the living area.  Oh, and did I mention they are only $16.97 a window?!?!?  So reasonable, yet they give me the "look" I've been…

Super Bowl Sunday - What's for Supper!?!?!?

One of our favorite things to do when there's a big game on TV is make up a variety of "finger foods" to snack on during the evening.  Tonight's Super Bowl was no different and we went for some of our favorites - buffalo wings, sausage balls, pigs-in-a-blanket, and, of course, one of our old standbys,  this yummy spinach dip.

It's a tradition to have this creamy dip at least once during the holidays, but we rarely have it during the year.  So, it's a real treat!  It's delicious and rich; and the basic recipe makes a ton - we snack on it for days!  My favorite way to enjoy it - scoop it up with "hint of salt" wheat thins crackers.  Yum yum!!!
Most of you probably have this recipe down by memory.  But, in case you haven't tried it, I'm sharing it below.

Spinach Dip
16 ounce container of sour cream 1 cup mayo 3-4 finely diced green onions 1 small can water chestnuts, diced 1 small package frozen chopped spinach 1 package Knorr vegetable so…

Procrastinating on a Project

Sitting here, listening to the thunder and the pounding rain against the windows and wishing I had made good on my plans to clean out my closet today.

You see, I've been contemplating emptying my closet for months.  And I mean empty it completely!  Then reload with way fewer items.  Some call it a capsule wardrobe - that is a pretty popular term these days.  Others might say it a 'minimalist approach' to dressing.  Either way, it is something that has been wiggling around in my mind for some time. 

And yet, I continue to put the project off.  Why the blazes is that?  It's definitely something I want to do - downsize and simplify my wardrobe! 

The main reason is the sheer size of the project.  It is daunting, to say the least.  Perhaps even overwhelming.  I know it is probably going to take several hours and create a huge mess if I do it properly.  So, I start thinking about the process and begin to lose sight of the end result - which is a simpler wardrobe and less …