Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Well, I have been thinking about it.  And, I've come to the conclusion that I really did need to work on a post about my "one word" I selected for 2013.  Since it has been a whole year, here is a quick link to travel back in time and read my original post about my word selection for last year - TRUST.

Looking back over the year, "trust" was a word that really played a large role in my life.  I've admitted many times - I am a control freak.  I instinctively want to "trust" in myself.  But, myself lets me down quite a bit of the time.  

Face it, I need something - SOMEONE - bigger than me to depend on!

Early in the year, I came across an affirmation that I wrote up on a sticky note and attached to my mirror.  (You can read about it here.) This became my mantra for the year.....


In an effort to foster an attitude of "trust", I would say this out loud as I dressed each morning.  When I would get stressed, or worried, I would repeat it - even though it was done through clenched teeth, at times. Sometimes, when I felt like I was sinking below the surface, this mantra literally got shortened to "Oh, God, help....". 

2013 was one of those years when I either had to "trust" or worry myself to death!  

This year saw my business grow, but in this business there is a lot of work up front, with the payoff coming later.  Somehow, the payoff always seemed to come in the nick of time.  

This year saw the arrival of two new grandbabies - both girls - and both healthy!  

This year saw my oldest son pick up and move to San Antonio, without a job; but, now he has his insurance adjuster's license and a career with a great company.  

This year saw my youngest son get engaged.  

This year saw me dealing with chronic pain from advanced osteoarthritis in my right hip, ultimately resulting in a total hip replacement - from which I am still recovering. 

Without "trust" there were points in this year when life would have been overwhelming or unbearable.  But, this little word hovered in my mind throughout the year and spurred me on - mostly because I made an effort to stay focused on it.  When I felt the focus slip away, I felt the calm that resulted from the focus slip away, too.  

To sum it up, maybe the whole point of this concept of "one word" for the year is to bring deliberate focus and awareness.  For me, that is what it did in 2013.  It got me honed in on a spiritual attitude that I needed to incorporate into my daily walk.  

I haven't selected a word for 2014 - I've been so busy recovering and rehabbing that I am just taking it day by day.  It's taking all my energy just to heal and get well right now.  I don't doubt that some word will creep into my mind over the coming days and weeks and settle in for the long haul.  Until then, I am still focused on "trust" - after all, my need to "trust" is ongoing!  

If you are doing "one word" for this year, I would love for you to leave a comment and share.  Hopefully, I will be able to settle on a new word and share that with you soon.  Hopefully, we can be an encouragement to each other with our "words"!  

Update on recovery - Physical therapy continues!  Each time I go, my therapist pushes me a little more.  But, he says I am ahead on recovery.  My incision has healed enough to start doing tissue massage daily, in an effort to smooth out the collagen fibers and soften up the scar.  I am walking without the cane, unless I feel really tired or sore and start limping.  I have less than a week until I get to burn my compression hose and start driving.  I made my first trip to the grocery store with my mom yesterday and I've been doing more and more of my own housework.  Feeling good, folks!!!

Until next time, stay blessed and warm, friends!

2 comments:

  1. So great hearing about your one word and how it showed up in your life throughout the year! My word for this year is "become." I truly hope this is my time to become who I am meant to be in all ways :) I have a friend who felt her word wasn't finished- so she kept the same one for this year and I think that works too!! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicky, your journey, and your courage in sharing it, inspires me every day!!! I'm still trying to settle on a word...but, "trust" isn't going to go away for me. It's kind of one those that could be the word every day, of every year - it is that important of a principle and attitude. So glad you stopped by and said hello! Stay warm and "become" all that God has intended for you.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for stopping by for a little visit on the Porch! I absolutely LOVE comments, so please leave a note and let me know what you're thinking.

When Fall Truly Arrives....in the Heart

October 1, 2019.  Time marches steadily on and the year progresses.  Oh, how I've been longing for this page on the calendar when t...