Monday, October 17, 2011

Comfort Food and Cooler Weather on the Way.....

I think today was probably Summer's "last hoorah" around here.  The temperature rose up near 90 degrees....but, change is definitely on the way.  It should really start to cool off tomorrow and be down around 40 by the time we get up on Wednesday morning.  Yippee!!!

We got some wonderful rain last weekend, so maybe that moisture combined with the "cold" will help bring about a bit of colorful Autumn foliage.....maybe.....


Oh, how I wish I could look out my front door and see a view like this......


 

Seriously, I would be in Autumn-maniac Heaven!!!


But, alas, I live in Central Texas and mesquite and mulberry trees just don't "turn" those beautiful colors.  They simply go from green to brown, with maybe a day or two of mustard thrown in for good measure. 


At any rate, in anticipation of the cooler weather headed our way, I got the ingredients together and had Eddie "dump" a meal in the crockpot this morning.  Chicken Taco Chili......I'm salivating just smelling it waft throughout the house since I arrived back from the office.  I found the recipe online and it's definitely "a keeper"!  (See the original post at SkinnyTaste.com)


If you want to give it a try, here ya go: 

1 onion, chopped
1 16-oz. can black beans
1 16-oz. can kidney beans
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
10 oz. package frozen corn kernels (I put a little more than this - we like the corn!)
2 14.5-oz. cans diced tomatoes w/chilis (Rotel - we like the spicy stuff)
1 packet taco seasoning (I use reduced sodium variety)
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. chili powder
24 oz. (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
chili peppers, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (topping)
 
Combine everything but the chicken and cilantro; stir it all up in the crockpot.  Place chicken breasts on top.  Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.  Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred.  Return chicken to the crockpot and mix it all in; let simmer for last half hour.  Top with fresh cilantro.  
 
Also very tasty topped with a dollop of sour cream, some crushed Tostitos and grated cheese.  Friends, this is COMFORT FOOD at its best....and so super simple to make!!!  Doesn't it look yummy???
 
 
Warm hugs.....

Jane

1 comment:

  1. We have the beautiful Falls as displayed in your photographs. We also have the *white stuff* that follows...lots of it. I think sometimes as we live through our Canadian winters that the seasons you have in Texas would suit me just fine.
    Your chili looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for stopping by for a little visit on the Porch! I absolutely LOVE comments, so please leave a note and let me know what you're thinking.

When Fall Truly Arrives....in the Heart

October 1, 2019.  Time marches steadily on and the year progresses.  Oh, how I've been longing for this page on the calendar when t...