Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The "Down Side" to My Favorite Time of Year.....

I love Autumn!  Despite the triple-digit temps we've been having, I know it is just around the corner.  Crisp mornings, a new slant to the sun, changing leaves....it's coming!!!  Our Starbucks is supposed to start serving Pumpkin Spice Latte tomorrow and I am giddy with excitement over that!

But, with the change in seasons comes a change in my body.  It's called "allergies" and if you suffer from them, as I do, then you know what I mean. 

I'm not sure exactly which type of pollen is the biggest culprit for me right now, but I've been miserable for over a week now.  My eyes are red, puffy and I simply want to claw them out of my head!  Speaking of my head, it pounds and my sinuses overflow when the sneezing starts.

After trying various antihistamine eyedrops, taking Claritin daily and fortifying that with a shot of Benadryl at night, I surrender....

No relief.....none, whatsoever......

I phoned the doctor's office this morning and made an appointment - something I should have done a week ago!  I couldn't get in today, but I grabbed the first available appointment tomorrow. 

I'm praying that he gives me one of those "magic shots" (you know, the one chocked full of steroids or something like that!) to make the itching go away.  Less than 24 hours to wait for some relief, but it seems like an eternity!

As a child, I underwent the traditional allergy testing back in the 60's.  It was quite the ordeal and it turned out I was allergic to just about "everything"!  I took weekly allergy injections for years - another ordeal, since my mother had to learn to give me those injections and it wasn't pleasant for either one of us.  But, over time, it seemed I outgrew the worst of those allergies.

Now, they are back with a vengeance!!!  My primary care physician in Pampa did more allergy testing and suggested that perhaps I was from another planet, considering all the things I reacted to.  He tried to get me to go back on weekly injections.  I resisted.  But, right now, I would gladly get back on the shot routine to get some relief.  

How about you?  I'm hoping someone has some wonderful suggestion about something "over the counter", some homeopathic treatment that has been successful for them.  Seriously, I am ready to try anything at this point.  If you told me that standing on my head for 10 minutes a day would make it go away, I would DO IT!!!

I have one more appointment at the office to get through this afternoon.  Then I plan on coming home, putting a cool cloth over my eyes, taking some Benadryl and trying to sleep through til tomorrow's appointment! 

Hoping to resurface tomorrow.....

Janie 





1 comment:

  1. Here is wishes that the ugly allergies won't bother you this fall.Stopping by to say Hi.Come visit sometime, tea is cold and no shoes are required. Kathy B. http://www.southernmadeintheshade.blogspot.com New follower from Austin TX

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for stopping by for a little visit on the Porch! I absolutely LOVE comments, so please leave a note and let me know what you're thinking.

When Fall Truly Arrives....in the Heart

October 1, 2019.  Time marches steadily on and the year progresses.  Oh, how I've been longing for this page on the calendar when t...