Thursday, November 1, 2012

Autumn Top Ten

Now that the flurry of activity around Halloween is past, I am totally focused on enjoying Autumn, the season of harvest and thanksgiving.  

With the stores already getting all decked out for Christmas, it's easy to be lured into skipping ahead.  Heck, I'm struggling with wanting to bust out the red & green myself.  But, the period leading up to Thanksgiving is so often overlooked and really deserves its own accolades.

So, I sat down, put pen to paper and composed a quick "Autumn Top Ten".....although, not really in any particular order, just how they popped into my head..  Here we go.....

~The warmth of pulling on my favorite sweater for the first time of the season. 

~Pumpkins on porches. 

~Windows open to let the house cool down after warm Indian Summer afternoons. 

~Shades of red, orange and gold creeping into the trees. 

~Leaves skittering down the street and across the lawn in the breeze. 

~Crisp mornings and cool evenings with the smell of woodsmoke from fireplaces. 

~Pumpkin flavors (coffee) and scents (candles). 

~Scarves with everything!

~Chrysanthemums in full bloom. 

~Saturday and Sunday afternoon's football games on tv - resulting in the most delightful naps. 

This is a season without a lot of commercial fanfare.  No gift giving.  No cards exchanged.  No movies, at least that I can think of offhand.  But, it is the season of great blessings and discovering Joy in the small things, particularly the beauty of nature.  


Don't let the glitzier holidays steal your zeal for the simpler celebration of harvest.  Take a moment to share one of your favorite things about Autumn in the comments below.  I love hearing from you!







3 comments:

  1. The smell of woodsmoke from a fireplace comes to mind, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your top ten. Fall is such a wonderfully beautiful season. Such a time to rest, almost. I love the time change here in Tennessee and that it seems like "slow" time.

    Enjoyed reading some of your posts tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to let you know that during the year, when I start to get those first random twinges for fall, I always come to your blog and read over your previous autumn posts. I know it's early, I love them.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for stopping by for a little visit on the Porch! I absolutely LOVE comments, so please leave a note and let me know what you're thinking.

When Fall Truly Arrives....in the Heart

October 1, 2019.  Time marches steadily on and the year progresses.  Oh, how I've been longing for this page on the calendar when t...