Monday, December 3, 2012

Decking the Halls...

Welcome to our little cottage, all decked out for the holidays!!!



Today, I am sharing our living room.  Since I decorate other rooms in the house, I thought I would break it into separate posts - little mini tours - so I could share more photos for each space and not have a mile-long post!   


Our place is definitely small.  (Maybe that's why I like to call it a cottage - it makes it sound more romantic or chic.)  But, we are chocked full of Christmas cheer! With limited space, I try to keep things to scale. That is why, when it came time to replace our tree, I went with this very slim model. Although it isn't large, it fits the space nicely and provides lots of branch tips to hold our large, and growing, collection of ornaments.


The tree is nestled between a decorative table holding a display of snowglobes and the hutch I got from my mother many years ago.  Since we don't have a fireplace and mantle, I generally try to compensate by making every flat surface a mini-mantle!



The hutch is dressed differently every year, but this is how it came together this time.  I am still tweaking, though!


Holiday plates, tiny pine trees, framed photos, candles and tiny white lights.....Mary Engelbreit's illustrated "The Night Before Christmas" and our fun little elf (who often moves around during the night)....


And, up top, this framed movie print from "It's a Wonderful Life", signed by Jimmy Stewart, takes center stage...


The piano is dressed for the holiday, too, with its own theme of birds, red and green ornaments and chunky gold stars.


On top of the antique barrister case, we have our nativity scene - complete with angelic water globes and a framed print of a guardian angel my mother found in a shop many years ago.


The windows have ornaments hung from the curtain rods, just the same as I have done the last couple of years.  (You can read up on making these whimsically wired ornaments HERE.)  And you can just catch a glimpse of the lighted deer grazing out in the front yard!


I love this room in the evenings, when it is lit only by candlelight and the glow of the Christmas lights.  It's so warm and cozy and I look forward to the end of the day when we can just enjoy the decorations.


Linking with:  Sundays' Best Features and Par.tay #53 at My 1929 Charmer

Over the next couple of days, I will share more of our home.  So, I hope y'all will pop over to The Porch for another visit.  In the meantime, I'm still tweaking and fine-tuning, as I am sure you are!


1 comment:

  1. Very pretty, Jane! I hear you about living in a small space. We moved to a ranch style condo that is half the size of our old house {and more realistic for the two of us now}. I could use your slimmer tree. Every night I'm squeezing between the tree and a chair I just nudged over to plug the tree in. Thank you so much for your very sweet comment earlier today!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for stopping by for a little visit on the Porch! I absolutely LOVE comments, so please leave a note and let me know what you're thinking.

When Fall Truly Arrives....in the Heart

October 1, 2019.  Time marches steadily on and the year progresses.  Oh, how I've been longing for this page on the calendar when t...