Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Oatmeal & Toffee Cookies....Baked on a Warm Autumn Afternoon

Welcome, friend!  Glad you could stop by today!!!

Is it feeling more like Fall in your neck of the woods yet?  It did for just a few days here, but it's warmed back up in to the low 90's again.  It's a little difficult to get into the swing of October when it is still so dang hot!  But enough belly-achin' about the weather......

This afternoon, I fired up the oven and cranked the A/C down so I could bake some cookies.  Oh, I longed to be able to just open the windows and feel a cool breeze pass through while I baked.....but, sometimes you just have to make do with the hand you're dealt, right?  

Since my work as a Realtor can eat up a lot of my time, I find myself taking little shortcuts in the kitchen when we are craving some homemade goodies.  This is one of my absolute favorite cookies and it seemed like time to whip up a quick batch since I had a couple of hours between appointments today.  (Funny thing is, my last appointment ending up having to cancel since my client got detained on a work site an hour away from town and had to cancel - for the second day in a row....but, that's neither here nor there and I am enjoying the extra "down time".....)

At any rate, here the simplest version of Oatmeal & Toffee Cookies, in a nutshell -

1 pkg. Betty Crocker Oatmeal Cookie mix
1 stick of butter, softened (and, yes, I use real butter 'cause it makes them so much richer)
1 Tablespoon water
1 egg
1/2 cup Heath toffee bits - in the baker's aisle, next to chocolate chips

Simply dump it all in a bowl, mix well, drop by teaspoonfuls on your favorite cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees.  We like 'em a little soft and chewy, so I pull them out of the oven after about 8 minutes - once the edges barely turn golden brown.  (Well, there was one sheet full that went a bit long because the phone rang, so we have a dozen that are slightly crunchy....)  Cool on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.....or, as I do, on a paper towel.

So good....so easy.....and so perfect for filling my pumpkin shaped jar!!!  



Please, please.....someone tell me that they "cheat" and doctor up cookie mix this way and that I am not a bad "domestic diva" for doing this?!?!?  

 Hugs  & Love.....




2 comments:

  1. I have never doctored up cookie mix before, but I will now. Brilliant idea! They look delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these sound wonderful. Never tried a box cookie mix! Love your header, it is so autumny!!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for stopping by for a little visit on the Porch! I absolutely LOVE comments, so please leave a note and let me know what you're thinking.

When Fall Truly Arrives....in the Heart

October 1, 2019.  Time marches steadily on and the year progresses.  Oh, how I've been longing for this page on the calendar when t...