Skip to main content

Chats on the Farmhouse Porch....

I've found a sister porch lover....Patrice at "Everyday Rurality".  She is hosting a chat on her farmhouse porch today, so I'm stopping by for a visit. 

Here are the questions we're chatting up this week.....

Stephanie asks, "What kind of competitions do you prefer to watch? Dancing, singing, or cooking?
I love to watch singing competitions - and by that, I mean shows like American Idol or The Voice.  I find myself holding my breath and hoping people hit the notes!  I feel so badly when they don't.  Occasionally, I will watch Dancing with the Stars, but I'd much rather listen to people sing!

My Kid's Mom asks, "Do you work? Are you retired? Are you a stay at home mom?
I stayed at home for 12 years when my kids were little, but I have never worked harder in my life that when I was a stay-at-home mom.  I have worked outside the home most of the time since my youngest started 4th grade.  I am a Realtor and my hours are somewhat flexible - it works perfectly for me!

Empty Nester asks, "What's your favorite thing about winter?
Well, honestly, Winter is my least favorite season.  But, I do still get excited when the snow falls; and I love wearing warm sweaters and boots....and I have a couple of fringed shawls that I am rocking this year!

Homeschool on the Croft asks, "What do you love most about where you live?"
I love that all of my family lives nearby, here in the same town - all three of my grown children, my two grandkids and both of my parents.  Plus, I love that I live in the same neighborhood where I grew up - only 4 blocks from my childhood home.  What I love specifically about the house we I live is the wonderful natural light we get here....lots of southern exposure! 

Did you or your children(grandchildren too) ever have a dollhouse?
I had a wonderful doll house when I was a child.  It was a pressed tin model with the decor and fixtures painted on.  It had two levels and a lovely little "flagstone" rooftop patio out to one side; the style was very colonial.  It looked just like this one that I found on Ebay....don't even ask how much they go for now......

      

My sister and I spent countless hours moving the little plastic furniture around inside; maybe this is where my love of rearranging furniture started!  Ya think?!?!? 

A big THANK YOU to Patrice inviting us all to this link-up chat on the porch!  If you haven't checked out her blog yet, GO DO IT!!! 


Comments

  1. I remember that dollhouse! Thanks for the memory. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember playing with a doll house like that... but it wasn't mine. I wonder who had it?! Hmmm... that will bug me all day!
    How lucky for you to have your family all so close!
    My dad is only 20 miles away and one son is about 30 miles from us... but everyone else is an airplane trip or a long, long day's drive away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, we had the same dollhouse. I was trying to describe it...you did even better and had a photo. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a coincidence! Today, on Wednesday Hodgepodge in my random musing of #8 I posed a question for someone with real estate experience. Maybe you can offer some help. Check this out & offer your input, please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yeah my Wednesday Hodgepodge post is under Wedensday Blog Hops post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janie, This is such a fun post. I love the doll house and it brings back so many memories. I have the original Barbie (woo-hoo!) and some of my grandmother's little doll house toys. They are priceless. It's wonderful that you are in a career with some flexibility. I went to college, worked for 12 yrs, stopped for a time to raise kids, went back to school (starting all over again) and now work part time. I've certainly paid my dues and appreciate my days off. Enjoy your day!

    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janie, thanks for stopping by, so nice to meet you. I hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janie, I live in a similar town with all my relatives around. I just watched The Voice for the first time last night. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

THANK YOU for stopping by for a little visit on the Porch! I absolutely LOVE comments, so please leave a note and let me know what you're thinking.

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Our New Woven Blinds......

Hey, ya'll!  Labor Day weekend is winding down.....hope yours has been great!!!
Mine was actually pretty busy.  Since Eddie Dale had to work all three days, I decided I would work, too - only I stuck around the house to do my work! 
I decided to go ahead and give the woven bamboo blinds I found at Home Depot a shot.  I've been eyeballing them online for weeks because the cost was only $16.97 each.  I simply hate the plastic 1-inch mini-blinds throughout our house - they are not cottage-y - at all! 
So, I ran out to the local store (their handy dandy website indicated they had thirteen 27"x72" shades in stock) and picked up enough to do the living room.  I really like the roman shade style and the way these filter the light, creating a nice soft ambiance in the room.  Although they are not completely private, they are fine in the living area.  Oh, and did I mention they are only $16.97 a window?!?!?  So reasonable, yet they give me the "look" I've been…

Super Bowl Sunday - What's for Supper!?!?!?

One of our favorite things to do when there's a big game on TV is make up a variety of "finger foods" to snack on during the evening.  Tonight's Super Bowl was no different and we went for some of our favorites - buffalo wings, sausage balls, pigs-in-a-blanket, and, of course, one of our old standbys,  this yummy spinach dip.

It's a tradition to have this creamy dip at least once during the holidays, but we rarely have it during the year.  So, it's a real treat!  It's delicious and rich; and the basic recipe makes a ton - we snack on it for days!  My favorite way to enjoy it - scoop it up with "hint of salt" wheat thins crackers.  Yum yum!!!
Most of you probably have this recipe down by memory.  But, in case you haven't tried it, I'm sharing it below.

Spinach Dip
16 ounce container of sour cream 1 cup mayo 3-4 finely diced green onions 1 small can water chestnuts, diced 1 small package frozen chopped spinach 1 package Knorr vegetable so…

Procrastinating on a Project

Sitting here, listening to the thunder and the pounding rain against the windows and wishing I had made good on my plans to clean out my closet today.

You see, I've been contemplating emptying my closet for months.  And I mean empty it completely!  Then reload with way fewer items.  Some call it a capsule wardrobe - that is a pretty popular term these days.  Others might say it a 'minimalist approach' to dressing.  Either way, it is something that has been wiggling around in my mind for some time. 

And yet, I continue to put the project off.  Why the blazes is that?  It's definitely something I want to do - downsize and simplify my wardrobe! 

The main reason is the sheer size of the project.  It is daunting, to say the least.  Perhaps even overwhelming.  I know it is probably going to take several hours and create a huge mess if I do it properly.  So, I start thinking about the process and begin to lose sight of the end result - which is a simpler wardrobe and less …