Skip to main content

Day 8 - Finding the Message in Film and Song.....

Music and movies.  I simply love Christmas movies and music!!!

It seems that usually sometime in October, I will dig out a holiday CD and pop it in for a quick fix.  Then, I pull out the Christmas DVD's in our growing collection and use the excuse of "entertaining the pups" to start watching them well before Thanksgiving. 

This year, I realized that there are some real gems to be found in the classics - if you are just listening.  In particular, these messages have caught my ear and captured my heart.....

~~"The Polar Express"~~ 


I've loved this story since I discovered the book with my children many years ago!  It's all about Believing.  When the movie came out, it seemed to speak to adults more than to children.  In reading reviews, it became apparent that the animation and artwork seemed a little "creepy" and "dark" to children.  But, I loved it!  And the music was beyond fabulous!  I particularly love the the song "Believe", sung by Josh Groban during the final credits.  In listening to the words, I am struck by one phrase -

"Destinations are where we begin again."

Wow, think about it for a moment.  This is so true in life, isn't it?  So much of the focus in life is on reaching a "destination", but what happens after that?  Well, the next story begins.  Even as we strive toward to the final destination, this is a reminder that it is only the beginning....

~~"Miracle on 34th Street"~~


This classic movie has been remade several times.  I still love the original version with Natalie Wood, but have a special fondness for the mid-90's version and it's timeless feel.  At one point in the movie, Kris Kringle is talking to a "non-believer" about her lack of belief in the spirit of Santa Claus -

"If you can't believe, have faith, in something unseen, you are doomed to a life filled with doubt."

This is true on so many levels, isn't it?  Without faith and pure belief, doubt is always present.  Faith and believing in things we can't see with our eyes is one of the cornerstones in our daily walk with God....

~~"It's a Wonderful Life"~~


The most classic of all Christmas films, without a doubt!  So many messages on so many levels....

"No man is a failure who has friends." 

If you take away nothing else from this tale, take this truth!  The final scene in the movie, as the people from town gather around George Bailey and his family, is one of the most memorable.  Filled with a renewed Joy for life and gratitude for the selfless acts of others, George has the realization that each one of us touches so many others simply by our existence.  Each one of us has special value and purpose in this life, whether we realize it or not.  But, what a blessing to see evidence of that purpose!

Although Hollywood often sends out negative or mixed signals, once in a while they get it right!  These are just three examples of nuggets of wisdom found in holiday movies that encourage and inspire.  And I am thankful for the message of  each!!!

So, bring on the hot chocolate and candy canes!  Settle on the sofa with your loved ones and pop in one of the Christmas classics.  Sing along - out loud - to the sounds of your favorite Christmas tunes as you drive around town.  Smile and savor the simple truth of the holiday message! 

Listening to the words of the season....

Jane

Comments

Post a Comment

THANK YOU for stopping by for a little visit on the Porch! I absolutely LOVE comments, so please leave a note and let me know what you're thinking.

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Our New Woven Blinds......

Hey, ya'll!  Labor Day weekend is winding down.....hope yours has been great!!!
Mine was actually pretty busy.  Since Eddie Dale had to work all three days, I decided I would work, too - only I stuck around the house to do my work! 
I decided to go ahead and give the woven bamboo blinds I found at Home Depot a shot.  I've been eyeballing them online for weeks because the cost was only $16.97 each.  I simply hate the plastic 1-inch mini-blinds throughout our house - they are not cottage-y - at all! 
So, I ran out to the local store (their handy dandy website indicated they had thirteen 27"x72" shades in stock) and picked up enough to do the living room.  I really like the roman shade style and the way these filter the light, creating a nice soft ambiance in the room.  Although they are not completely private, they are fine in the living area.  Oh, and did I mention they are only $16.97 a window?!?!?  So reasonable, yet they give me the "look" I've been…

Super Bowl Sunday - What's for Supper!?!?!?

One of our favorite things to do when there's a big game on TV is make up a variety of "finger foods" to snack on during the evening.  Tonight's Super Bowl was no different and we went for some of our favorites - buffalo wings, sausage balls, pigs-in-a-blanket, and, of course, one of our old standbys,  this yummy spinach dip.

It's a tradition to have this creamy dip at least once during the holidays, but we rarely have it during the year.  So, it's a real treat!  It's delicious and rich; and the basic recipe makes a ton - we snack on it for days!  My favorite way to enjoy it - scoop it up with "hint of salt" wheat thins crackers.  Yum yum!!!
Most of you probably have this recipe down by memory.  But, in case you haven't tried it, I'm sharing it below.

Spinach Dip
16 ounce container of sour cream 1 cup mayo 3-4 finely diced green onions 1 small can water chestnuts, diced 1 small package frozen chopped spinach 1 package Knorr vegetable so…

Procrastinating on a Project

Sitting here, listening to the thunder and the pounding rain against the windows and wishing I had made good on my plans to clean out my closet today.

You see, I've been contemplating emptying my closet for months.  And I mean empty it completely!  Then reload with way fewer items.  Some call it a capsule wardrobe - that is a pretty popular term these days.  Others might say it a 'minimalist approach' to dressing.  Either way, it is something that has been wiggling around in my mind for some time. 

And yet, I continue to put the project off.  Why the blazes is that?  It's definitely something I want to do - downsize and simplify my wardrobe! 

The main reason is the sheer size of the project.  It is daunting, to say the least.  Perhaps even overwhelming.  I know it is probably going to take several hours and create a huge mess if I do it properly.  So, I start thinking about the process and begin to lose sight of the end result - which is a simpler wardrobe and less …