Thursday, October 28, 2010

Chicken & Dumplings...the Perfect Comfort Food

There is definitely a chill in the air here....Autumn has arrived, in all its splendid glory!!!

I've been waiting for some cooler weather to break out the stockpot and make my first batch of chicken & dumplings for the season.....I figure it's about time!!!

My mom taught me the simplest way to make chicken & dumplings and it never fails.  Everyone loves it so I always make enough for leftovers.

It's sooooo simple....here is all you need....

Chicken breasts, milk, 1 stick butter, pepper, seasoned salt, celery seed, canned biscuits


 A large stock pot, preferably non-stick

I boil 3 large chicken breasts in seasoned water.  To season the water, I use black pepper, celery seed and Mrs. Dash.  (Of course, I realized today - after going to the grocery store - that we are out of Mrs. Dash; so, I am using the old stand-by favorite, Lowry's seasoned salt.)

Once the breasts are cooked, I set them aside to debone and cut into chunks.  I reserve about 1-1/2 inches of the seasoned stock created from cooking the breasts.....


To this, I add a stick of butter (or margarine), and an equal amount of milk.



While I am waiting for the liquid to simmer, I take 3 cans of "whomp" biscuits.  (You know, those small canned biscuits that you "whomp" on the edge of the counter to split open?)  On a cutting board covered with an ample of amount of flour, I flatten each biscuit and cut it into fourths.....or sixths....just depends on my mood.



Once the liquid is just beginning to come to a slow boil, simply drop the floured and cut biscuit pieces into the mixture, a few at a time, always stirring.  It's really important that you get the liquid just to that boiling stage or else the dumplings won't plump up and float to the top!  The "plumping" is key to a good dumpling.  Equally important, to stir and keep the temperature from getting too hot and the mixture from boiling over. 

Just coming to a boil...perfect!!!

Your dumplings should "plump up" and float to the surface for the first few minutes

Once I have all the dumplings in, I simply set the heat so that they simmer nicely and keep them stirred every few minutes so they don't scorch or stick together.  Generally, it will take around 45 minutes to get the dumplings cooked to the consistency we like.


When the dumplings are almost done, about the last 10-15 minutes, I stir in the chopped (or chunked) chicken meat. 


This is what the dogs look like when I am cutting up the chicken....just waiting for me to drop a piece or give them a nibble....



To finish seasoning, I add lots of freshly ground black pepper and Mrs. Dash (okay, seasoned salt...).

And, voila!  There you have it....super simple chicken & dumplings, the perfect comfort food on a cool, Autumn evening.


Now, this makes a really big pot of food, but I have three strapping guys to eat it all up!  If you reduce the chicken to 2 breasts and the biscuits to 2 cans, it is just about right for two people to have second's and then a leftover meal the next day.  (Just add a little milk or water to it when warming it up.)

It was great to have the boys and Sam's "baby", Savanna, with us for dinner tonight.  We wiped out the entire pot of dumplings and had a wonderful evening!!!  

 I am linking up with Funky Junk Interiors' Saturday Night Special,  where you can check out a array of blogs in three different categories.  How's that for adding a little variety and spice to your life???

Now, a special "Howdy and Welcome" to those of you visiting from Java's blog-hop, "Follow Friday 40 and Over"!!!  I hope you will stay and browse around The Porch for a bit and leave me a note!


Stay warm wherever you are....

~Jane~

12 comments:

  1. Yummmmmmmyyyyy!!! You didn't even call me!!! Ha! I made chicken and dumplings last week, but they didn't look nearly as good as yours! I am going to have to try your recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we makes them the same way other than I use a whole chicken and use the broth from it I do not put anything but salt and pepper in mine seasoning wise. I think the dark meat makes them so much more juicy than just using breast. If you've never tried it that way you should at least once and see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh I have to book mark this my hubby would luv me forever if i cooked this Thanks so much. Stopping by to follow you. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  4. they were soooo good..
    and will be ready for them again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good. Stopping by from Friday follow. All your dogs are sweet :>) have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yummy!!! My Mamaw used to make these (she's 99 now and doesn't cook any longer)...and I still remember how wonderful they were...so creamy and delicious!! I love the pic of the doggies wanting a crumb!!! Thanks for stopping by Jeremiah 29:11 and leaving such sweet comments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane- Thanks so much for stopping by my blog Pocket Full of Pink. I appreciate your comments! What a lovely blog. Those chicken and dumplings look wonderful. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I'm hungry - for chicken and dumplings at 9:00 am in the morning ;-)

    I usually use Bisquick for my dumplings and hadn't seen the milk addition before - I'm going to have to try whomp biscuits and milk. Also like the tip to remove the chicken before I drop in the dumplings - never thought about that before and my pot always gets crowded!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore chicken and dumplings, I'm going to try this one.

    I'm dropping by from the Over 40 Follow Friday.

    www.ScreamingMimiBlog.com

    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how I wish I could cook, this sounds so yummy & perfect on a cold evening...yummmmy! Reading the directions & lookin at the pictures I think I may be able to try this one though, my family would be sooooo proud!
    Hey Girlfriend,
    My 1st real job was at our local TG&Y! I was 17 & I remember they had little shopping carts & when the boss wasn't there, we would turn the channel on the radio, blare the speakers & have cart races around the fabric cutting desk...lol, with people in them. So funny, thanks for that memory!!! :)
    Hugs,
    Susie
    & I'll let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so good! I never knew you could make dumplings like that. I'm going to try that this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazing! I bet it's delish.. My dog Tanner looks just like this when I'm cutting up chicken. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for stopping by for a little visit on the Porch! I absolutely LOVE comments, so please leave a note and let me know what you're thinking.

When Fall Truly Arrives....in the Heart

October 1, 2019.  Time marches steadily on and the year progresses.  Oh, how I've been longing for this page on the calendar when t...