Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sentimental Sunday....Decorating with Memories

Cha Cha, over at Sit, Relax and Read, has the most wonderful idea!  It's all about decorating with items that are sentimental and surrounding ourselves with wonderful memories instead of just following current trends. 

Sit Relax and Read


Since this idea resonates deeply within me, I am joining her party and sharing one of the most sentimental pieces in our home today....

This is the piano my parents bought when I was a child.


I can still remember the Saturday morning when it was delivered to our little house on Blair Street....my excitement knew no bounds!  Although it was used when my parents bought it, it was truly a beautiful instrument....classic and elegant in design....timeless....


Daddy taught me my first tune that day...."I dropped my dolly in the dirt"....played with two index fingers on "black keys".


I was soon enrolled for weekly lessons...and spent many hours over the next eight years of lessons, practicing away!  I still have one of my first lesson books....



You can even see where my younger sister, Jill, crossed out my name and wrote hers when she "inherited" the book....


And our piano teacher's notes penciled in on the pages....


Over 20 years ago, my mother finally relinquished ownership of the piano to me....and it has been a focal point in my home ever since.   Here it is all decked out for Christmas one year....


And here you see it in a much simpler setting many years ago in another house where I lived when the kids were younger...


Although it is a "pain in the patootie" to move and sometimes a challenge to work into a small living room (believe me, I have cursed it many times), it is one of my most-treasured possessions. 


I cannot imagine our home without it!  It brings back so many memories for me....and I still love to sit down on the bench and run my fingers across the keys, making music and hearing melodies from the past.


I hope you will check out Sentimental Sunday and find Inspiration to surround yourself and your loved ones with the beauty of memories in your own home! 

For those of you who have been following, I will have a post on the results of the my shopping expedition shortly, so stay tuned!!! 

Wishing you a Blessed and Peaceful Sunday.....

Jane

14 comments:

  1. LOVE this post!

    everything about it, even where sister crossed out your name to put her's. wonderful treasured pieces. i hope to have a piano someday, i know i would be like you & struggle as to where to place it. but i think it's something we are missing out on.

    happy sunday!
    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you got it YOU got my heart, I love this post but I love your heart more. Your words are beautiful and your memories precious. Thank you for sharing and for linking up, you have blessed me today. I hope you have a wonderful week.

    Blessings,
    Cha Cha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, I remember it well. It was'67. L.B.J. was president. You were ready. Let the music begin.... The old Gulbranson still looks great. Great memories. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treasure! I always wished I could play the piano.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sweet! I've always wanted to play the piano. I did take lessons for 2-3 months when I was young but my mother & step-dad could not afford a piano so all that stopped. These are precious memories ~ thanks for sharing!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. let's see how many times have we moved that piano? Hmmm worth it. Even though, I have never heard you play it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful story ... may your life always be filled with beautiful music..XO HHL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I have heard you play... and you do it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great memory Jane! I was fortunate to have gotten my Grandmother's piano six years ago...I still remember her playing me songs as I sat with her...now my daughter takes lessons and practices on it! Thanks for sharing your memories...and bringing back some of mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love the book with your and your sister's name. It says it all, doesn't it? I hope our kids will cherish our piano too. Like you said, it's a pain to find a place and an even bigger pain to move. But I love hearing them play when they practice in the mornings. Someday those sounds will be gone and I'll be left with this thing in my living room....and all my dolly said to me was waah, waah, waah, waah, waah. Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a priceless treasure. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am enjoying ur blog and have an award for u on my blog! :)

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband grew up in a family that had a piano and all his older sisters play beautifully. One of them has their piano from their childhood in their home now. My husband took up piano lesson when he retired and while not dedicated to it, does enjoy it. Your piano and your photos of it in your homes are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for stopping by for a little visit on the Porch! I absolutely LOVE comments, so please leave a note and let me know what you're thinking.

When Fall Truly Arrives....in the Heart

October 1, 2019.  Time marches steadily on and the year progresses.  Oh, how I've been longing for this page on the calendar when t...